Given the connection between oral and overall health, and the continued emphasis on preventative care and education, patients need a dentist that is willing and equipped to actively partner with them in regards to their dental health. Equally important, however, is the feel of the dentist’s office. For instance, is it welcoming, organized, and clean? Is the staff polite, courteous, and helpful? If you’re wondering what to look for in a dentist, here are a few guidelines as well as questions to ask yourself.
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), the following are important questions to consider when looking for a reputable dentist:
- Is the dentist a referral from a trusted family member or friend?
- Did your physician or local pharmacist recommend the dentist?
- Have you referenced your state’s dental society? For example, in the state of Georgia, dentists are often listed under the search “find local dentists".
- Have you called or visited the dentist’s office? Did you request a tour?
If you’ve been given several recommendations, it’s important to call or visit more than one. With more information regarding different types of dental offices, patients can make well-informed decisions about their selection. Even so, the following are additional questions to take into account:
- Does the dental office submit insurance claims to your provider?
- For uninsured patients, is there an option for a credit program or discount payment plan?
- Is the dentist a member of a professional dental society, such as the American Dental Association? While being a member of the ADA doesn’t necessarily mean that patients receive a higher level of dental care, it does imply that the dentist has agreed upon a specific code of ethics, conduct, and opinions, per the ADA.
- Is the dental office conveniently located?
- What types of anesthesia and sedation dentistry is offered?
- What is the office policy regarding emergency dental care and same day dentistry?
- Are treatment plans discussed prior to visits, with estimated costs?
The Choice Is Yours
While family and friends remain a great resource for choosing a great dentist, the choice is yours, and the decision doesn’t have to be a difficult one.
Always ready to welcome new patients, Dr. Leia Porcaro and the team at Grateful Dental invite you to call our office today if you are looking for a new dentist in the Marietta area. For every stage of life, Dr. Porcaro focuses on the importance of personal and comfortable dentistry, using the latest technology and educational resources that empower patients in their quest for optimal oral health.
Marietta, GA 30067